Sunday, July 25, 2010

KU unit 3:Sickly & comparing...

I spent all day in the bathroom/bed vomiting. Not a pretty picture. Apparently E passed it to me and F, we were both in bed vomiting. Talk about a quick way to lose a pound, when nothing stayed in, this morning though I am feeling a little hungry so I shall go eat something.

I had a project to do this week. So as I scrambled around the grocery store to compare my 8 cereals, to see which would be a better value for the money. I even had a store manager come to me, to think I was a health inspector? LOL!

I compared : Fruity Pebbles, Frosted Flakes, Trader Joe's Pumpkin spice Granola,Cascadian Farm Organic Granola oats & honey, Cheerios, Fiber One Bran cereal, Total plus omega-3,
Total Whole grain original.


The top two cereals that I compared while shopping were Cheerios and Total whole grain original. My research shows that overall Cheerios is the top cereal though for the money. Total was lacking some major vitamins 0% vitamin A and only 15% vitamin D. I thought when I would flip over the label I would see 100% all the way across and this wasn’t the case. Total was also more expensive than some of the other cereals that I looked at. Which to me means it should pack more than the cheaper cereals, and it did for some of the vitamins and nutrients. Cheerios on the other hand provides more protein, less sugar only 1 gram in Cheerios and 5 grams of sugar in Total. The fiber was the same. Also, Cheerios still packs a punch in all of the vitamins, there was not one )% on the label. Most vitamins comes up 25%-50% in a serving. However you get more servings of Cheerios in a box which means I can stretch it out for more meals; lower cost is more effective in getting it to the majority of consumers. Cheerios even takes the nutrition label a step further and has serving sizes for children under 4 years old, which is amazing to me, as a mom of children under 4, it helps me plan out their breakfast a little better.

1 comment:

  1. Thank you for the info. I will pass it on to my family.
    Hope you are feeling better.

    ReplyDelete